Fort Myers City Crews Survey Storm Damage & Assess Repairs
Courtesy of the City of Fort Myers website
Fort Myers Fire, Police, and Public Works departments have completed preliminary inspections of the City, its structures, roadways, power lines, and flooding issues. Crews began a limited assessment shortly before midnight, and began full-time assessment and cleanup activities at daybreak. Crews worked along a preplanned grid system conducting a methodic survey of the City and created a database of issues facing the City and its residents.
The initial survey identified more than 350 issues needing attention within the City limits. The issues include:
- 60 – Intersection issues (signals or impassable)
- 150 - Street issues
- 10 - Debris Areas
- 40 - Safety Conditions
- 72 – Powerline issues
- 22 – Compromised Structures
- 3 – Utility issues
The Public Works department is requesting that residents and businesses practice responsible water conservation throughout the Hurricane Irma recovery period. Power outages like those experienced during Hurricane Irma create limiting conditions at water treatment plants. Outages can also disrupt activity at the lift stations that are used to send wastewater to treatment plants. These lift stations can overflow and even back up when overused during an emergency.
- Please limit toilet flushing
- If you need to take a shower, make it brief.
- Do not run the dishwasher or your clothes washing machine
- Make sure your automatic sprinklers are turned off
Residents are asked to reserve use of 9-1-1 for life safety emergencies only.
General information about the Hurricane emergency, shelters, and recovery efforts can call the 2-1-1 Help Line by dialing 2-1-1 or 239-433-3900. The 2-1-1 Help Line is operational 24 hours a day.
Dunbar High School Added to Shelter ListLee County EmergencyManagement has added Dunbar High School to its list of facilities that are providing post-Irma shelter for those displaced or who have incurred damage to their homes. Dunbar High School is located at 3800 Edison Ave.
Lee County's five post-storm shelters include:
- DUNBAR HIGH SCHOOL- 3800 Edison Avenue, Fort Myers
- DUNBAR MIDDLE SCHOOL - 4750 Winkler Ave. Extension, Fort Myers
- NORTH FORT MYERS REC CENTER- 2000 N. Recreation Way, North Fort Myers
- GERMAIN ARENA- 11000 Everblades Parkway, Estero
- ALICO ARENA, Florida Gulf Coast University Campus
The City of Fort Myers will continue to prepare for local recovery from Hurricane Irma and issue more updates.